Achieving effective resource management is often the most difficult of all tasks in project management. Understanding the current demand on resources, the effect of moving a resource from one project to another, or determining whether or not the organization has sufficient resources available to take on new initiatives are often complex and time consuming questions to answer. And even when they are answered the data is often not trustworthy or timely.
Because managing projects is a complex undertaking, this course breaks down the parts of Project so you walk away able to work with each. You’ll learn to work with and identify resource types such as enterprise and local; understand leveling; learn to allocate and adjust your resources; and units of measurement.
You’ll see how to enter and revise data using ribbons and task dialog boxes. By the end of the session, you’ll be able to generate the best possible view of the project or projects underway and have a reasonable expectation that the data are trustworthy.
Watch this Microsoft Project Online Training video to see various techniques utilizing Project Web App, which is part of Microsoft Project Online & Project Server to achieve effective resource management through resource types, leveling, adjusting resource assignments, resource allocation, and much more.
We hope you enjoy this training video!
Project Resource Management in Microsoft Project Online consists of:
- Cost resources
- Managing working time
- Adding vacation time, medical leave and other non-working time into your project schedule in order to create a realistic timeline.
- Resource levelling
- When resources are overallocated (working on too many assignments at the same time) their assignments may be adjusted automatically using resource levelling.
- Resource sheet and usage views
- The resource center present resource information graphically to help asses resource utilization.
- Resource substitution
- Generic resources used as placeholders are replaced with real people.
- Team resources
- Add resources to a team’s project, such as material resources like cement.
- Work, generic and material resources
- Add resources to your project. Work resources are people. Generic resources are like carpenters. Materials are computers.
The Enterprise resource pool is a pool of resources in the organization that are shared across all enterprise projects. By using this resource pool to forecast resource work, assign and track work, the organization is better able to understand both the impact of change and the ability to take on new initiatives.
Project planning involves resource forecasting by role in order to understand a projects resource requirements over time. The role field corresponds with a Generic resources name. In this way we are performing resource forecasting by role, which helps us determine capacity by role and, of course, overallocations.
Resource engagements are often used to facilitate a handshake between a project manager and resource manager. Team members are assigned based on a fulfilled resource request.
Project Online is a flexible online solution for Project Portfolio Management (PPM) and everyday work. Microsoft PPM provides powerful project management functionality for planning, prioritizing, and managing projects and project portfolio investments—from almost anywhere on almost any device. Microsoft Project Online can be used by administrators, portfolio managers and viewers, project and resource managers, and team leads and team members.
MS Project Online is available through two subscriptions: Project Plan 3 and Project Plan 5. Features listed in Project Online features interact only with data in the Project Online SharePoint data store.
Team member functionality for Project Online is available through a Project Online Essentials or Project Plan 1 subscription. Project Online Essentials is a team member add-on subscription for customers who have Project Plan 3 or Project Plan 5 subscriptions. Project Online Essentials and Project Plan 1 subscriptions gives team members a web interface to perform task and time updates to projects managed in Project Online.
Team members with Project Online Essentials or Project Plan 1 subscriptions can perform the following Project Online functions:
- Use a web-based interface
- Update tasks, issues, and risks
- Submit timesheets
- Share documents and collaborate with Microsoft Teams or Skype for Business users
Project Online Essentials does not include Project for the web. Project Plan 1 includes both Project for the web and Project Online Essentials.
- Project for the Web Consulting
- Microsoft Project Training
- Microsoft Project Scheduling
- Microsoft Project Online Consulting
- Microsoft PPM Consulting
- Microsoft PPM Training
- Microsoft Project Online Migration
- Microsoft Project Online Training
- Microsoft Project Online Help
- Microsoft Project Online Support
- Dynamics 365 Consulting
- Dynamics 365 Project Operations Consulting
- Microsoft Power Automate Consulting
- Microsoft Power BI Consulting
- Microsoft SharePoint Online Consulting