I was recently installing SharePoint 2013 on a ‘Windows Server 2012 datacenter edition’ machine and came across a few issues. Prerequisites install should be smooth as per my expectation but it wasn’t.
First interesting behavior:
I had SharePoint 2013 OS image (.iso) on C drive and had to mount it for install.
When you run the prerequisite installer (from Default.hta) , it reboots the machine a few times in the installation process and automatically continues after reboot. A command prompt tries to continue the installer after reboot but it kept failing for me. Reason: When the system reboots, the mounting is not done automatically, so the prerequisite installer couldn’t find the source and failed. I fixed it by :
1. Go to %ProgramData%MicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsStartup and delete the batch file related to prerequisite installer
2. Mount the ISO image again and
3. Run prerequisiteinstaller.exe manually. This will resume from where it left.
Prerequisite installer was unable to correctly configure ‘Configuring Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role’ and install the required Windows Features for SharePoint.it was continuously trying to configure and install the required features and then restart.
Error when enabling ASP.NET v4.0.30319
Error: The tool was unable to install Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role.
Last return code (-2146646015)
Steps taken to fix this issue:
- This is a known issue: After some Bing search, I discovered that this was a known issue: Microsoft KB for this known issue
- Method 1-Hotfix KB-2771431 install given in the article didn’t work for me.
- Method 2-Running the Powershell commands worked for me till the first command: Add-WindowsFeature NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45,NET-WCF-TCP-Activation45,NET-WCF-Pipe-Activation45 and then the last command didn’t work.
- I successfully installed the feature manually from Server Manager –> Add feature instead. But prerequisite installer still failed at the same step.
- Copied the Windows server 2012 source to my c drive and successfully ran the last powershell command given in the KB with ‘–Source’ parameter. Ran the prerequisite installer again and this time it successfully finished.
Hope it helps! If you have any questions please contact us.