Active Directory Troubleshooting

 

Scenario 1:  Schedule not changing:  SharePoint Timer Job’s still existed, although we removed schedule from PWA (not communicating)(also noted event error about updating database)

Thank you for your time on the phone today. As we discussed, we will delete the bad timer jobs, and then enable auto AD synching in PWA again. After this the syncs should work successfully.

Before making any changes, make sure to take a full farm backup, and then follow these steps:

1. Disable automatic Active Directory synchronization of the Groups and Enterprise Resource Pool in PWA.

2. Browse to Central Administration > Operations > Timer Job definitions. Click on the first job named Project Server ‘SSPCollab:http://jmscportal/PWA’ job ‘AdSyncScheduledJob’.

3. The URL of this page will be similar to “http://<servername>/_admin/JobEdit.aspx?JobId=77d076a5%2D851e%2D49b4%2Daace%2D98a9644e059d”. This last part after JobId= is the ID of this timer job, and this is what we will use in the STSADM command. What you need to do first is replace the four instances of %2D in the ID with a dash, “-“. The ID should then look like “77d076a5-851e-49b4-aace-98a9644e059d”.

4. Using your Job ID, run this command on the SharePoint application server: Stsadm –o deleteconfigurationobject –id 77d076a5-851e-49b4-aace-98a9644e059d

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the second ‘AdSyncScheduledJob’ in Timer Job definitions.

6. Browse to Timer Job definitions and verify that these jobs are no longer listed.

7. Browse to PWA as the SharePoint Farm Administrator account and enable the automatic Active Directory synchronization of the Groups and Enterprise Resource Pool in PWA again, and click Save and Synchronize Now.

8. Browse to Timer Job definitions and verify that these jobs appear here again.

 

UPDATE – 06/14/2010

We the client perform steps 2-6 above.  The Project Server admin and myself then setup the schedule for AD sync to see if it would run, and unfortunately it did not.  Meaning, we could still successfully execute it manually, but now it would not even run on the automatic schedule. 

Prior to the procedure being executed, and AD sync would run automatically at 2:00am, however, we were unable to change the time at which the sync ran.

We actually tried changing the schedule several times with no luck.  What we did notice, however, is that new timer jobs were being created in SharePoint.  Actually quite a few were, one for each time we setup a schedule (see below).  The issue has now been forwarded to Microsoft’s SharePoint team, as the current rep we are working with thinks there may be a SharePoint issue.  Stay tuned.

image

 

 

 

 

Scenario 2:  Corrupt Resource GUIDs

Attached is a tool that will check to see if there are any conflicting GUIDs in Project Server. Since it does modify the database it is best to take a full farm backup first. Run the tool against the published database and it will determine if there are any conflicting GUIDs. If there are, click “Clear AD GUIDs for checked resources” to clear them up, which will allow the AD sync to run successfully again.

 

repost from ms support