A custom of ours was receiving this message when trying to access the help feature in Project Web App in a SharePoint 2016 environment.
- To troubleshoot the issue I first checked to see if the CAB files for help existed. In a SharePoint 2016 farm they are located at, 1033 is english: C:program FilesCommon Filesmicrosoft sharedweb server extensions16HCCab
Fortunately they were in place.
- Next I logged on to a SharePoint farm server as a farm administrator and launched PowerShell and executed the Get-SPHelpCollection command to confirm the current status of the help files.
Nothing was returned, which was what I was expecting, however, it’s not what we ultimately are looking for.
- What we want to do is install the help files with the command: Install-SPHelpCollection –help
- Nothing obvious returned from the install command, however, when we run the Get-SPHelpCollection command again we see the files were installed correctly
Don’t be surprised if the Help does not work immediately, as it may take a few minutes for the files to completely install.
Once installed you may want to check at your site collections that the Help collections are available
- Site Actions > Site Settings > Help Settings
When everything is in place accessing the Help features should work successfully!