In this video we demonstrate setting up unique project ids for 3 different project types in MS Project Online.
When creating new projects in Microsoft Project Online, it may be beneficial to have unique Project IDs generated for different types of projects. This could potentially make it easier for users to identify projects by department, business unit, or some other mechanism within an organization.
A person with the appropriate permissions to configure MS Project Online can configure Microsoft PPM to generate a unique Project ID for each new project request coming in via an Enterprise Project Type (EPT). It is within the configuration settings of an EPT in Project Web App that the unique Project ID may be set up. As an organization, you define the properties you would like used to generate Project IDs across the company.
A unique Project ID in Project Web App can help Project Managers, Executives, and other stakeholders more easily identify projects across the organization in Office 365 Project Online. It's another way the Microsoft Project and Portfolio Management solution helps organizations better manager projects and resources.
How to Specify Project ID settings when configuring an Enterprise Project Type in Project Online
1. Withing Project Web App, select Settings - PWA Settings, or Server Settings in the left navigation pane.
2. On the Server Settings page, in the Workflow and Project Detail Pages section, click Enterprise Project Types.
- Either edit an existing Enterprise Project Type by clicking on it's name or click the New Enterprise Project Type button.
(If editing an Enterprise Project Type, go to item 5 below)
3. On the New Enterprise Project Type page, specify a Name for your new Enterprise Project Type. Try to use a name that is descriptive for the type of project being created.
4. In the Description field, enter something that will help the user determine if this is the correct type of project to use for their purposes.
5. In the Project ID section, enter information that will be used to create a unique Project ID for the projects that are created via this EPT:
- In the Prefix field, enter characters start each Project ID. For example, IT_ might be used for Information technology projects. This field is optional.
- In the Starting Number field, enter a number that will be used as the first number for Project IDs that will be generated for this EPT. Enter 10001 if you want the first Project ID to be 10001. This field is required.
- In the Postfix field, enter characters that will show up after your Project IDs that are created for this EPT. For example, if this EPT is used to create only low-risk projects for the Finance department, you could enter _LR. This field is optional.
- In the Minimum Digit Padding field specifies the padding prior to the first number you specify. For instance, if you specify a starting number of 1 and padding of 5, the first 5 numbers will be 000001, 000002, 000003, 000004, 000005. In my opinion I would prefer to use a starting number of 100001 with a padding of 1 which seems to me to keep the number of digits consistent for a longer time.