What a day.  I spent hours in this update and purposely delayed it because I sensed it would be problematic.  Well it was.  About the farm, it consists of four servers, so each required the installation of the upgrade packages and running of the configuration wizard.  The first error I encountered was this:

Verify that the SharePoint container exists in the current domain

I also noted this in the event log:

Action 4.0.21.0 of Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPIisWebSiteWssSequence failed.

After some research I found a technet solution that fixed this error, which is pasted below:

To create a service connection point container to track installations
  1. On the domain controller, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click ADSI Edit, or use a remote administration tool to connect to ADSI Edit from another computer.

  2. On the Action menu, click Connect to, and connect to the domain that you want to use.

  3. In the console tree, expand the connection, expand the domain name, and then click CN=System.

  4. In the details pane, right-click in the white area, click New, and then click Object.

  5. In the Create Object dialog box, in the Select a class box, click container and then click Next.

  6. In the Value box, type Microsoft SharePoint Products as the container name, and then click Next.

    This is the default name.

    note Note:

    You can use other names. However, if you do use other names, you must create a Group Policy for the domain computers to set a string value ContainerDistinguishedName under the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftSharePoint. This makes it possible for the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard to detect the new name.

  7. Click Finish.

    The container is created.

  8. Right click the container (CN=Microsoft SharePoint Products), and then click Properties.

  9. On the Security tab, click Add.

  10. In the Select Users, Computers, Service Accounts, or Groups box, add the users that you want to write to this container, and then click OK.

    Note that if a user who cannot write to this container installs SharePoint Server 2010, no new entry will be created. Consider giving all Authenticated Users the permission so that you can track all the objects.

  11. In the Group or user names box, select the names that you previously added, and then under the Permissions box, click Advanced.

  12. In the Permission entries box, select the names that you previously added, and then click Edit.

  13. In the Permission Entry for Microsoft SharePoint Products dialog box, in the Permissions box, select the Allow check box for Create serviceConnectionPoint objects, and then click OK.

although one error was resolved, others persisted.  fortunately I realized an Upgrade log file was created in the SharePoint log directory.  Not until after a few hours trying to find an error though.  Until I found this log file, I had no real information from which to troubleshoot.  In my case, it was the Web.config causing the issues.  On the fourth server, which is a database server, there was no Web.config in either of the following directories:

C:inetpubwwwrootwssVirtualDirectories80web.config

C:inetpubwwwrootwssVirtualDirectories80wpresourcesweb.config

I initially copied blank web.config files to these locations which continuously caused issues. 

Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I then copied the web.config from my web front end into both these directories, and my upgrade via the command line FINALLY worked!!!

 

psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force